Workers Compensation including Comcare

If you are injured and your injury occurred at work or your injury was significantly contributed to by your employment, you may be entitled to compensation.

If you are a Commonwealth, ACT Government or employee of one of the licensees under the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (Cth), your circumstances will bring you under the Comcare scheme. For all other workplace injuries that occur in the ACT, you will need to seek compensation under the ACT Workers Compensation Act 1951 (ACT). The two schemes are very different (albeit with some similarities) – we specialise in both.


Lander & Co have represented injured workers under this scheme for 27 years. We have advised literally hundreds of Comcare claimants over the years. It is our work with Comcare claimants for which we are probably best known.

The law in the Comcare jurisdiction is complex and subtle and you need to engage a lawyer who has experience in the area. Whilst it is possible to lodge a claim yourself, there are many pitfalls, particularly if you have a psychological injury. We would recommend that you seek legal advice from a competent lawyer prior to submitting your claim. It is essential that you act quickly and not delay before lodging your claim.

Other stages at which you may need assistance are to lodge a reconsideration request or seek review at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) or Federal Court. Again, it is important that you act promptly and remember that you have 30 days to lodge any request for reconsideration and 60 days to lodge an application for review by the AAT.

We can assist with your Comcare claim at any stage.

Unlike the private ACT workers compensation scheme, the Comcare legisltation does not provide you with the opportunity to receive damages or a “payout” of your entitlements. You may have grounds to make a claim for permanent impairment. This means that you will need to deal with Comcare throughout the currency of your injury once you have an accepted claim.