Workers Compensation

If you are injured and your injury occurred at work or your injury was significantly contributed to by your employment, you may be entitled to compensation.

If you are a Commonwealth, ACT Government or employee of one of the licensees under the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (Cth),your circumstances will bring you under the Comcare scheme. For all other workplace injuries that occur in the ACT, you will need to seek compensation under the Workers Compensation Act 1951 (ACT).The two schemes are very different (albeit with some similarities) – we specialise in both.


Lander & Co have represented injured workers under this scheme for 27 years. We have advised literally hundreds of Comcare claimants over the years. It is our work with Comcare claimants for which we are probably best known.

The law in the Comcare jurisdiction is complex and subtle and you need to engage a lawyer who has experience in the area. Whilst it is possible to lodge a claim yourself, there are many pitfalls, particularly if you have a psychological injury. We would recommend that you seek legal advice from a competent lawyer prior to submitting your claim. It is essential that you act quickly and not delay before lodging your claim.

Other stages at which you may need assistance are to lodge a reconsideration request or seek review at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) or Federal Court. Again, it is important that you act promptly and remember that you have 30 days to lodge any request for reconsideration and 60 days to lodge an application for review by the AAT.

We can assist with your Comcare claim at any stage.

Unlike the private ACT workers compensation scheme, the Comcare legislation does not provide you with the opportunity to receive damages or a “payout” of your entitlements. You may have grounds to make a claim for permanent impairment. This means that you will need to deal with Comcare throughout the currency of your injury once you have an accepted claim.

Click here to find a link to some frequently asked questions we receive from our Comcare clients

ACT Workers Compensation

We regularly represent injured workers who do not fall under the Commonwealth Scheme.

It is essential if you are injured that you lodge your claim promptly. We recommend that you seek legal advice before lodging your claim, you may be entitled to compensation and, in some instances, damages at common law.

We exclusively represent injured workers and do not represent insurers which means we are focussed on your needs.

Employment Law and Industrial Law/Misconduct

We undertake retainers in the Fair Work jurisdiction. We have assisted many clients who are the subject of Code of Conduct investigations, or dismissals.

Unlike many other firms in which you will be dealing with a different team for each area of your employment disputes, at Lander & Co either David Lander or Katie Hrobelko will take carriage of your matter so that you will not need to spend valuable time explaining your circumstances to different lawyers.

We pride ourselves on getting to know our clients well and obtaining a global understanding of their circumstances. The benefit of this approach is that we undertake our work with an overall strategy and consider how each step we take will impact any other aspects of your life and pocket.

Other Areas of Law

We also advise and represent in the following areas of law:

• Personal Injury Law

• Medical Negligence

• Administrative Law

• Wills and Powers of Attorney

• Contract Disputes

• Debt Recovery

• Criminal Law